Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Page is Never Blank

For the scholarly writer, the page can never be blank. There is always some reading, some research, some thought, that precedes the act of writing. Once the page is not blank, then the process of writing becomes one of modifying, revising, what is already there on the pages or on the screen.

1 comment:

Andrew Shields said...

That reminds me of the beginning of the inaugural lecture Foucault gave at the College de France. (Title slips my mind, though!) He starts off by quoting Beckett about how hard it is to "enter discourse," but by starting off that way, Foucault "enters discourse" seamlessly, and gets the problem of how to begin out of the way!