Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rule #14

Rule 14 is "Take some down time." You need to let your project rest for a while sometimes. Maybe a day, maybe a week. You need to take a vacation once in a while, whether it is a day or a month.

This rule contradicts all the other rules about writing every day, I know. I am perfectly capable of writing almost every day for almost a year, but I also have found I need to take some time off once in a while. Usually, I find that what I am doing during this time off is some intense kind of thinking of another sort. For example, during the recent stretch I have been learning "Tintern Abbey," a poem of 159 lines.

No comments: