Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Thursday, August 28, 2014

No, syllabi do not average 15 pages!

A recent article on Slate alleged this. A facebook thread in which I'm participating says that syllabi range from 3-6, with 15 being the high end of the scale. To get there you would have to copy and paste the entire academic integrity policy into the document. I just link to it.

3 comments:

Contingent Cassandra said...

The key difference may be that you teach mostly upper-level courses, or at least have the independence tenure affords you to design your syllabi as you see fit. The requirements for core/intro. classes taught by contingent faculty are often much more stringent, syllabus reviews tend to take place, and the incentive to put things in the syllabus so that, if a student complains, the faculty member (or program director, or department chair, or dean) has something very specific to point to is much stronger.

There are, increasingly, two somewhat-overlapping but very different universities.

clarissasblog.com said...

My longest syllabus is 8 pages this semester. I always have pretty long syllabi, and students find them extremely helpful. I sometimes do get to 10 pages, but I don't see a problem. Nobody ever complained. I love creating these long booklet-like syllabi and I don't see why I should deprive myself of this form of enjoyment. :-)

Jonathan said...

So you'd agree that 15 is long, not average.