Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, August 26, 2022

Gibson

Ian Gibson resumes his attack on the Lorca family. He calls Laura García Lorca "Laura García de los Ríos," not the name she has always used, and pleads with her to tell us where the poet is buried, evoking the specter of the far right, as though they would gain more votes somehow if his side in the controversy does not prevail. He resurrects theory that the family conspired with Franco to exhume the body and bury it somewhere else. Supposedly, they know where Lorca is, then. There is no evidence for this theory; it's just sort of word-of-mouth gossip, so I'm not buying into it. I don't think even Gibson believes; he just wants to continue the feud with the Lorcas. 

Using the wrong name is not "passive aggressive," as I first wanted to write, but aggressive aggressive. Laura's mother was Laura de los Ríos, daughter of Fernando de los Ríos, so by conventional naming rules she would be "Laura García de los Ríos," but she has always chosen to be García Lorca.   

No comments: