Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, September 7, 2023

The Anger Scale

 288. The Anger Scale. Katie Degentesh (2006)


Here is a classic flarf book, exploiting the inherent surrealism of google search non-sequiturs. I met Katie on a trip to New York. She had studied with Gary Snyder in Davis. 

The anger scale is a psychological test. All the poems have titles based on questions in the survey, so "I sometimes tease animals" would be a statement that you would agree with or strongly disagree with, etc... Out of context, these questions also acquire a surreal air. "I believe I am no more nervous than most others." 

I was a defender of flarf back in the day, not a member of the group but friends with several who were. I guess I would still defend it, for its wit and fearlessness. This book is a good example of that, along with some Drew Gardner work from about the same time. 




2 comments:

Thomas Basbøll said...

I, too, defended Flarf. Degentesh, in some detail.

It feels like the total past now.

Jonathan said...

Yes, I remember that you were interested in it. After that we had "unoriginal" conceptual poetry, and now maybe we will have AI poetry. Language poetry and flarf seem old hat.