Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Friday, April 2, 2010

Finances

I have an elaborate system to take care of my finances. I can't reveal details because of privacy concerns, but I am paid every two week, for about 9 months, and have to save for the summer. Since bills are due at regular times of the month 12 months a year and paychecks are on a 2-week cycle, it makes it impossible to establish a regular relation between incoming and outgoing funds. For example, a given month's paychecks might be on the 2, the 16, etc... but the rent is due on the 1st. Almost every day I have to be thinking about how to optimize everything to make sure there is money in my account, that I am saving for the summer, minimizing debt, etc... I use certain techniques to save for the summer, and make constant adjustments.

I don't know what this has to do with scholarly writing and how to get it done. Money, time, and effort to establish their connections...

No comments: