Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ordering the Manuscript

I take a file folder on my MacBook Pro and put all the chapters of a book in progress into it. I keep them in order by beginning the title of each chapter with a number, like so:

000preliminatires.doc
001chapteroneinsulas.doc
002chaptertwoLorcaduende.doc

That way the computer automatically keeps them in order. (I use 000 for the title page, table of contents, etc... so that chatper one can always be 001.) I can look at the ordered list and see the last time I worked on each chapter. The chapters switch order on me, as sometimes happens? I can rename the documents. Other documents in the folder that aren't actual chapters--article versions of parts of the book, for example--will not get numbers: the computer will list them afterwards so they won't clutter the list.

No comments: