Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ping Pong and Frisbee

When my brother was a little kid, we would throw the frisbee back and forth in our cul-de-sac. I was seven years older, so I was basically teaching him how to throw a frisbee. Later, when he was a teenager, he won frisbee contests and could roundly defeat college students, much older than he was, at frisbee golf.

I used to take my daughter to the gym to play ping pong. Later, got a table. I played easier on her when she was little. When she went to a music camp this summer, she could easily beat almost every other high school kid at ping pong. She lost one game to a kid, but then turned around and beat him, but was otherwise undefeated. Now I can barely score a point off of her.

I have no particular talent for either frisbee or table tennis, but I was good enough to provide enough to provide the proper amount of resistance and / or practice to make a kid much better than I will ever be.

No comments: