Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Friday, August 12, 2011

Technology

I am not well organized enough to use a lot of technology to do my research. All I use are books, a word-processing program, and the internet. Nevertheless, if you need to be better organized than I am, there are a lot of technological tools you can use.

What I basically do is put everything in the actual word document that I am working on. A bibliographical reference goes in the work cited. A paragraph from a primary or secondary source goes into the body of the text. I don't first collect data somewhere else and then write. I simply begin writing from the beginning. Where this doesn't work so well is when I've neglected to collect a complete reference and have to go back to check a book out a second time from the library.

Your most sophisticated piece of technology is your brain. Everything else is just a way of storing information in retrievable form.

4 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

I wanted to post the last two sentences on Twitter (excellent aphorism), but with your name, it was too long, so I just took the first of the two.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Andrew. Now I'm sorry I canceled my twitter account.

Professor Zero said...

What do you do about files? I used to make a lot of xeroxes and printouts of things I got from libraries but now a lot of that is available as pdfs and things. I have a mega file cabinet but were I to start over I think it would be a virtual one, in the cloud.

Jonathan said...

I tend not to keep a lot of hardcopy files, unless they are rare copies from an archive.