Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Self Promotion

I've decided to have my name nominated to be a Distinguished Professor. It is curious that I think of myself as plausible candidate when I look at my cv, but that I still have a hard time asking others to support me in this process. I keep thinking that people will say I am not prominent enough for that. It is an odd dichotomy. I think I am more or less at the level I need to be (of course, there could be other people in the university in this category who are also impressive), but I have a hard time asserting that because I fear people's reaction to my arrogance.

I am fairly certain I won't get it if I don't put my name in for it. My department chair has agreed, so I have to line up a few more people to sign the letter.

2 comments:

matt said...

Go for it, Jonathan, and good luck!

Clarissa said...

This isn't arrogance. This is reasonable and realistic. Good luck!