Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Emory

It looks like Emory is closing down its graduate program in Spanish. I have always thought of Emory as a reasonably strong program in my field, so this comes as a surprise, though the administration is shutting down whole departments as well. I know Northwestern also stopped giving graduate degrees in Spanish a few years ago. I won't gossip further until I have better information.

Of course, not every university should be giving a PhD in every field, but it is still possible to get tenure track jobs with a Spanish PhD from a strong program. My department still have virtually 100% rate of placement, for example.

No comments: