Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Friday, January 9, 2015

10 Footnotes to Apocryphal Lorca (4): Theater

4. My biggest omission was Lorca's influence on American theater, and the influence of Lorca's theater in general. I had it in my head somehow that Lorca was not significant for American dramatists. This is obviously not the case, and I have a chapter in the new book which I am now completing on this very topic. This is a rather strange case of me missing something that should have been right in front of me. A disturbing lack of intellectual curiosity and tunnel vision. Once again I believe that the lesson to be drawn is one of humility.

I did look for theater influence by Lorca, but not hard enough. I was not as expert in American theater as I thought I was in American poetry.

No comments: