Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, January 9, 2015

10 Footnotes to Apocryphal Lorca (3): Hughes and Intersectionality

3. I did deal with Langston Hughes a bit in one of my chapters, but inadequately. What was missing was the intermediate step, someone who had already "queered" him so that I could make the argument that his interest in Lorca was as a fellow gay writer. I didn't want to make this argument, because it would have been overstretching a bit, from my posture of epistemological skepticism. In other words, I could guess that this is behind some of Hughes's interest in Lorca, but I didn't have enough evidence. It seems clear that Lorca's influence in the US is intersectional (to use a popular term). That is, someone who taps into several dimensions of identity politics at once.

No comments: