Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Lorquian Self-Fashioning

There. That's a title I could use. I don't know quite all it entails yet. I guess the question is how Lorca becomes Lorca, how he forms himself, his Bildung. I propose to study this not as biography (though that enters too) but as poetic self-shaping. It is a miracle, of a sort. How he became as good as he was in a very short space of time.

2 comments:

profacero said...

Here is a piece I just found and skimmed. Anales de la literatura española contemporánea, Vol. 33, No. 2, El Teatro de Federico García Lorca en la Construccíon de la Identidad Colectiva Española (2008)
contains: Estereotipos que se resisten a morir: El andalucismo de "Bodas de sangre"
Jesús Torrecilla
pp. 229-249 (21 pages)

Andalusian self-fashioning. It is interesting because I have just decided I am tired of andalucismo. One of my students says forget the rest of it, teach Poeta en NY as first taste of Lorca, see what people will do then. I am interested.

profacero said...

There is an old video, one from Films for the Humanities, on life of Lorca with lots of people interviewed, I gave it to the library and should perhaps have kept (although I can check it out), in it there is a peasant from family's lands interviewed who says that since FGL was a small boy everyone knew "que estaba estudiando para poeta."