Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

???

I've read two books in the past few days, one for a book review, the other for a tenure review. Both deal with several authors, but they are all male. Another book I reviewed for a press this summer dealt with Spanish writers in New York.  Once gain, only male writers appear.

You could guess the genders of the authors of these books. But the last one was written by a woman. So my question is: why not put some women in your books? Why do women authors have to be studied in books only about women, with a lot of other books about other general topics (modernism, translation, etc...) ignoring women completely?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my case, my education and lack of time. It's: we could only study men and I got interested in certain people. Also: when you study women you are supposed to put certain kinds of feminist theory first. The text is second. Finally: my things on women get rejected because they are too radical (this is how I translate the readers' comments).

I don't know. I teach many women but it takes Awareness capital A even to do that enough. I *do* bring a feminist angle to everything, so there is that.

Jonathan said...

For me, I don't like the division of

women writers = feminist issues

male writers = everything else in the world not related explicitly to gender

It's the old male = universal assumption, which even the feminists seem to share

So I've ended up writing on women, when I do, and trying not to talk about feminism at all, or very little.

Anonymous said...

Yes, these are the problems!