Featured Post

Thinky

With the Bialosky scandal I realize that my memoir of reading poetry is irremediably academic, in the sense that, much as she think of hers...

Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Inside makes the Outside Sound Good

Monk told Steve Lacy, apparently, that the inside of a song (the bridge or B section of a 32 bar AABA form) made the outside (the A sections) sound good. That's brilliant. I feel that structural impulse in my own very modest compositional efforts. It is hard to write a good bridge which is stitched tightly together with the A sections and makes them sound good. The bridge should sound good in its own right, be different but related to the rest, and then lead back into the final A section and the conclusion. I think my bridge to "Italian Movie Theme" is excellent.

No comments: