Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, July 27, 2018

Decepcionado

In the music section of Laie bookstore in Barcelona, there was a book that promised to be collection of writings by Lorca on music.  Excitedly, I took it down,  only  to discover that it was simply a reprinting of three of Lorca's lectures, and didn't even include some other lectures that have to do with music, like "Cómo canta una ciudad..."  It had a preface of two pages by a flamenco cantaor, El Niño de Elche, which I didn't even read.  This just won't do, I'm sorry.  I guess I should have read it, but I don't need to read some other brief anti-intellectual take on the duende like that, in an opportunistic book like this.  

A book purporting to represent own Lorca's musical thought just has to approached in a half-way serious way. You would also have to realize that the duende lecture is not an essay about music alone.    

No comments: