Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Galaxia Gutenberg

In this dream Galaxia Gutenberg had published my complete poems in Spanish translation. This seemed unexpected but at the same time deserved. It was one of those massive tomes of 500 pages, like the collected works of other authors. I felt like a Very Important Person and wondered why I had ever doubted it. I imagined telling people about this book. Of course, I have never published a book of poems in English.

Obviously, this dream is about the anomaly of thinking of myself as a poet or creative person but having my actual accomplishment be in scholarship. It is also about my exaggerated sense of self importance. Galaxia Gutenberg is the publisher of Lorca! and also of all the other poets I've worked on in the last 20 years (Valente, Gamoneda, etc...) I actually know the guy who's in charge of the poetry collection there, so the dream is not wholly implausible.

I looked to see if there was any blurbs or prefaces, but no. I found the page where the translator's name appeared. I didn't now who he was.  There was a check for 60 euros or so, dated 2013. I wondered whether the check was still good.

1 comment:

Leslie B. said...

How's this: a part of you that you don't recognizes, recognizes the value of your creative work / your translation work and has done for some time, although you do not realize it. You get a whole volume in GG and it has (monetary) value although the real recognition isn't in the quantity but in the size and quality of the volume.

Or: your creative / translation work HAS actual value in your view (the money), although not as much, in your view, as you wish (the volume).

I'm not sure. But I must say the dream indicates being immersed in creative work and that in itself is cool.