Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Skeptic

It's perfectly fine to be a Laura Riding skeptic, or an Olson skeptic.  I am, for example.  (I also don't like Nina Simone or Abbey Lincoln. )There are certain doors that are closed to me. I think that's a little distinct from not liking any "difficult" art, music, or poetry at all, or having almost ALL the doors closed. Since others I respect are not skeptics of those figures, I have what I would call "second degree respect." I agree that you find some value there, even if I do not. I won't say you shouldn't like it. 

I tried to to find value in Zambrano, but ended up not getting very far. I even wrote an article about her. Even though I ended up a skeptic, after some initial excitement, I don't think of it as wasted effort at all. I just get put off by someone endlessly talking about poetic this, and poetic that, but in a way that never quite gets there. Yet I think that people who admire her are correct to do so.  

No comments: