Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Max Roach

 The radio came on in the morning. I heard tenor saxophone, and as I focussed attention a little more, I recognized Sonny Rollins. Then I tried to identify it. I coouldn't idenity piano or bass. The drum solo was Max Roach, very obviously. The phrasing and the melodic contour, the sonority. As I was almost awake I realized that the song was "Moritat." Then I remembered I had once tried to transcribe part of a solo by him. It is not so much that I was able to do it, but that I even attempted it. That kind of close attention to what I am hearing is something I have worked on for two decades now. 

No comments: