Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Dumber

 The book, Lorca, basado en los hechos reales has arrived. It's almost dumber than I expected. He goes on an on about a worker's strike that inspired "Romance de la guardia civil española," but the poem never mentions any strike at all. It is simply assumed that the repression of this strike must have inspired the poem. It is not just a lack of sensitivity or capability for reading literature, but almost an active hostility to fictionality. There is absolutely no insight into any text, and not even an effort in this direction.   

So I guess Lorca "dressed up" or adorned real life, as though making real life into literature were simply a cosmetic process. I keep coming back to Aristotle and the idea that if you versify Herodotus, it is still history, not poetry. 

No comments: