Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

I had more hands then

 Keith Jarrett had a stroke (or two), and cannot play piano with his left hand. There is a nice interview with him by YouTuber Rick Beato. At one point, Keith says, after they listen to a brilliant performance by Keith from many years ago "I had more hands then." Then: "But only one more." He can still play cool improvised lines with just his right hand, and comp at the same time with the same hand. 

***

I realized at one point I had many, many CDS of Jarrett's trios with Jack DeJohnette and Gary Peacock. Your favorite musician is not the one you say is your favorite, but the one that is objectively your favorite, based on your actual listening history.  

***

When I play piano, it's fine. I am within my modest abilities. When I listen to someone really good, I could despair.  But that is a dumb attitude to take. Being able to play at all is a miracle. 

No comments: