Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

You need an hour, but you only need an hour

I have decided to return to my practice of writing every day on my book, for an hour a day more less, using the Seinfeld chain method; I began on January 1.   

Many things require an hour (or less) a day. Practicing an instrument (for hobbyist ambitions). Running: yesterday I ran (walked) for an hour and did 4.5 miles.  Now, I don't even need to run everyday, even, just every other day, alternating with weights. I only spend 30 minutes lifting. Making progress on a book ms. For meditation, 30 minutes is good if you aren't a Buddhist monk.  

You can prepare class in an hour a day. I teach two and a half hours a week, and I need about an hour of prep for each hour of class, if it is a class I have taught many times before.  


6 comments:

Leslie B. said...

Well, I hope I can design a syllabus in an hour. Maybe I can.

But, in the process of it, I came across this translation, which should be on your lists somewhere: https://tiendaenlinea.profetica.com.mx/libro/after-lorca-y-otros-poemas_1019003

Jonathan said...

A syllabus in an hour would be pushing it. I would do in two, two hour long sessions over two separate days.

Leslie B. said...

But that's after you've chosen the books and come up with the concept, right?

Still, it's interesting.

Jonathan said...

I'm assuming no course is literally from scratch. There are always some texts chosen and a basic concept.

For a wholly new course, it would take, maybe, a week or so to research and develop, and then the four hours of doing the syllabus.

Leslie B. said...

I take much longer. The devil is in the details. How many exact pages are in these books and how long will it take the students to read them? What kind of assignments? What kind of grade distro? Exactly how many class days are there? I'm not a Virgo and I don't like doing mosaics or stained glass - or planning reading assignments for people when I don't know at all how well they can read or not. I also - well, in this situ every 400 level course and up is a one-off and is not necessarily in a subfield I know a great deal about, so I am always racing to catch up to something

Leslie B. said...

... but let's see. 9 hours a week of class. For a class I've taught many times, less than an hour of preparation a lot of the time, but lots of grading. For that third class, that's always advanced and brand new, much more than an hour. But the worst of it all is building the sites in the LMS and dealing with other course websites, if any. I'd like to go back to website optional, use it for supplemental materials but not as a duplication of syllabus and books, and not for assignments or grades.