Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Rule #1

I need a more elegant formulation of that rule. "Scholarship can destroy your health, but it doesn't have to." That's not quite it. "Proper application of rules 2-100 will improve mental and physical health." Nope. I'm still not getting it. Maybe I won't understand this rule myself until I can formulate it succinctly and convincingly? What I think I might mean is that the ways people destroy themselves through scholarship are somehow unnecessary, that there is a path that leads to fulfillment as a scholar and excellent mental and physical health.

2 comments:

brownstudy said...

Scholarship can be demanding, but suffering is optional.

Jonathan said...

That's almost it, but I want to suggest that ultimately good health actually helps scholarship.