Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 4: Jonathan regains his brilliance

On the fourth day of my sabbatical, I have regained my former brilliance. Ideas flowed together magically before 9:30 in the morning. This chapter will be called "Postmodern Lorca: Motherwell, Strayhorn, García Montero." It is like the missing chapter from Apocryphal Lorca!

In a few weeks of not working on my scholarship at all, I began to feel brutishly stupid. It was true that I was studying Keats and Wordsworth and watching bad Italian mafia movies from the 70s, but I was not writing, not producing my own ideas.

The break was still probably necessary, of only to show myself that I am capable of feeling like an unproductive brute.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

I'd also say you've regained your "Mayhewianism":

"I began to feel brutishly stupid. It was true that I was studying Keats and Wordsworth and watching bad Italian mafia movies from the 70s, but I was not writing, not producing my own ideas."

Jonathan said...

Yes, but I can't do that on purpose. If I try to write a "Mayhewianism" it doesn't work. It has to just arise organically. For example, that sentence originally didn't have the part about the mafias movies. That's the touch that makes it a Mayhewianism, but I can't do that in every sentence.

Thomas said...

That's how it works with flashes of high style. You (unintentionally) produce it. We canonize it.

Thomas said...

Also: it seems to me that this one is an example of "Mayhewian disjunction": Mayhew's "but", if you will.