Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 5: 75 minutes

I set the pomodoro timer for 25 minutes, and repeated three times, with the appropriate number of breaks. I've done this several days in a row. I don't seem to want to write for 100 minutes, but that is fine. I am getting a lot done, working for 50 minutes on a chapter on Lorca and postmodern kitsch, and then another 25 on the preface and the order and titles of the chapters. By working on the preface, I am able to keep my attention on the project as a whole, especially as I rewrite the dreaded summary of chapters. For the reader, this summary has the function of "signposting" the contents of the entire book. For the writer, it has a similar function: I am able to see the project whole in one coherent set of about 11 paragraphs, and work out kinks in continuity.

Remember I am working to finish the book by January 2013. I will have ample time if I keep up this modest pace.

2 comments:

undine said...

I am using pomodoro, too, because it works in the ways you describe.

Clarissa said...

This is really uncanny. Just today I wondered if it's OK that I never manage to write for 100 minutes a day and always end up with 75-80 minutes. And then I see this post.

This happens to me all the time with your blog. I'm almost ready to get paranoid. :-)