Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, October 29, 2012

Spain-Splain

As a North American scholar of Spanish literature, I have been often "Spainsplained." This is when a Spaniard explains things to me that I am an expert in, or offers up a cliché I have often heard as though I had never heard THAT one before, or is generally condescending. I have to say it doesn't happen as much as it used to, but it is noticeable when it does. It's least objectionable form happens when I am told: "You are not like those other American Spanish professors who come here and don't know anything." Or "Your Spanish is very good." The worst was when I was told: "Oh yes, you probably wrote one of those worthless dissertations people write just to get the degree..." In the middle is when people tell me "Lorca is a folkloric poet." !!!@%@#% I guess the equivalent in the US is when people ask me if I REALLY speak Spanish, if I have to know the language well to have the job I do (yes, in fact) or say "gee, you must like to read." [Blogging from Spain]

No comments: