Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Literary Turn

The literary turn in Flamenco... I could relate it to the history of literary appreciation of flamenco dating back to Machado y Álvarez... and continuing to Lorca himself.  There are missing pieces here. It rarely occurs to anyone writing about Lorca to cite actual lyrics from the cante condo.

***

I've gone from "am I qualified to write this book?" to "I have been preparing to write this book my whole life" in about 8 months. One way I've prepared myself is by publishing two other books about Lorca.  

A lot of it is putting pieces together, things that other people have written about but without an awareness of the full implications.  Through no fault of their own, of course. It is natural for each scholar to be focused on her / his own agenda, with no obligation to anticipate mine.

2 comments:

el curioso impertinente said...

C.B. Morris, Son of Andalusia: The Lyrical Landscapes of Federico Garcia Lorca. Does he work just with popular lyric, or does he cite flamenco?

Jonathan said...

Right. I haven't looked at this book in a while. (Since starting my current project.). I'll have to check. Thanks.