Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Superpowers for non-adults

Children have some awesome powers too. Curiosity, enthusiasm. In some cases, concentration for long periods of time. Some have generosity or equanimity, or an unwillingness to accept unsatisfactory answers. For some things, an adult with enormous skill had to have begun as a child.

When I read the poem "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" when I was a kid, I knew there was something there. Poems like that, or Blake's "Ah Sunflower." If responding to something with enthusiasm is a superpower, I had that. Also with Beethoven's Pastorale symphony when I was twelve, or Art Tatum. The beauty of nature at my grandfather's horse ranch.

When I say adult superpowers, then, I don't mean that they have to wait for a mature age. A full appreciation of them, though, might be a mature attitude.

No comments: