Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Autumn Leaves

I came up with this little thing yesterday where I play the arpeggiated pattern of Bach's Prelude in C from the well-tempered clavier with the chords of Autumn Leaves. I don't know where that is leading. !  Oscar Peterson's Jazz exercise #8 is cool, with a baroque flavor to it.

I have this other thing where I play the first four chords of One-Note Samba very slowly and improvise over them very fast in the right hand. The idea is to get as much going with each chord as possible. I can play slow and meaningful melodic ideas, or I can play fast, but often if I overextend then it sounds too random (i.e. not meaningful), and sloppy. So the idea to catch myself when I am playing too much outside the changes for it to be meaningful, and rein myself in. At the same time, the random fast playing is not all bad, because it might lead to other ideas. I CAN improvise.  The question is being able to do it meaningfully enough. I can play fast, but if isn't "clean fast" it isn't good.

No comments: