Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, May 15, 2020

1948

I was trying to figure out when the earliest Germaine Montero Lorca recording was.  So I did a search  for her name in the catalogue of the French National Library. They have 25 pages of listing of her recordings. Anyway, so I came up with 1955. Then I looked to see when the LP was invented, which was 1948. 

The LP format created the possibility of the album. (The album before that was a literal album that you would use to store individual 78 rpm records).  The album is the origin of the "literary turn" in popular music, I hypothesize, because it allows for projects of greater scope. The length in and of itself just creates the possibility that the album is not a collection of single songs (singles), but something more conceptual. A lot of things wouldn't have been possible, like "Kind of Blue," etc... or Ray Charles's country music compilation. Of course, there are still albums that are just collections of singles with no particular cohesiveness, but going from 4 minutes a side to 20 is huge. 

I hadn't really thought about this before no, but I'm doing to have to mention it. Montero's recording might very well be the first Long playing Lorca record in any genre.  Whoopee!  

{So if there are any earlier Germaine Montero Lorca recordings, they would have to be between 1948 and 1955.  


No comments: