Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Audition

 I was auditioning to be the student of a famous voice teacher. There was another couple who were in a zoom call with us on our phones, and somehow involved in this situation, and the hour was getting late. I was going to do an aria from some classic Italian opera like Tosca, but when the time approached I couldn't remember it, so I decided to sing "Tres morillas de Jaén," one of the Lorca folksongs. {This is a song I actually do sing in waking life, unlike the aria.) When I finally connected with the teacher, she asked, "what drops are you going to to drop in for me?" I didn't have any throat drops so she suggested water. But my throat was too dry to sing. I was worried about the right pitch and I couldn't remember whether it started on G or A, and played a G on my keyboard. I was also somewhat worried about getting the words right, and hitting the ornament where the words say "tan garridas."  

It was about 11:30 p.m. I was somewhere else now. A woman was explaining how she kept warm at night despite sleeping on a roof with minimal possessions. Then we were in a swimming pool, where the water was warm. 

No comments: