Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Dictation

 I have a new Mac air book and it has dictation on it. I'm sure my last one did too, but I don't remember if it worked very well. I was thinking about a post Thomas had on his blog about the process of writing as something embodied. It seems odd that disability studies would a favor an embodied model of writing on when actually technology can make riding less embodied. For example, I don't need to use my hands to write this post. I could compose a scholarly article without typing a single word, if I can get good enough at this process. Anyway, the post is not turning out perfectly and I will have to go back to correct some words that my computer heard wrong, or that I pronounced in an ambiguous way. There are also privacy concern, since Apple receives my spoken words and then sends them back to me as printed text.

2 comments:

Thomas Basbøll said...

This reminds me of something I noticed in Spike Jonze's Her. He imagined a future in which most writing gets done by talking (and a lot of reading by listening). I think this was necessary to give the AI an environment she could feel real in (to the audience, but I guess also to herself.) She needed a voice that resonated.

Leslie B. said...

Well in the late 80s my colleague composed a book by dictating it into a tape recorder while commuting, or so he said. And now at our local CC people teach entirely with videos, no reading, said a history prof there to me not too long ago, because the students can't read.