Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Pedantic

 I cringed a bit in Chairs and Directors meeting one of the deans started talking about diversity as a quality of a person, as though certain ethnic groups were diverse and others were not. Like "retaining a diverse faculty member" Diversity is a quality of a group of people. A group of 10 people of the same ethnicity is not diverse, even if they are all black or latino. I understand how this shorthand usage arose, but I think it is more than a pedantic point to correct it. (Of course, I said nothing.). If we assume a white majority, then undiverse = all white, and the non-whites are those who add diversity, therefore they are the diverse ones.  

3 comments:

Leslie B. said...

30 years ago "minority" meant Black here -- it was used by administrators who were afraid to say Black -- and of course occluded all other non-white ethnicities.

Jonathan said...

The whole room where this discussion took place was 14 white people.

Leslie B. said...

Yes.