Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, December 2, 2023

KB

 I've been trying to find this passage in Kenneth Burke. A truck comes up to a gate. The truck driver has a conversation with someone manning that gate. The driver backs up and continues down the road, based on this conversation: he has the wrong address.  

So the point was that the symbolic action of the conversation had the effect of turning around his massive vehicle and sending it somewhere else.  

I'm sure that this passage exists, because I wouldn't have hallucinated it, but I can't find it by perusing all my Kenneth Burke books, or by googling Kenneth Burke and truck.  

[Update]

I've found a reference here: 

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Realism_and_Relativism/IA7K2T30ATwC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Kenneth+Burke+truck&pg=PA127&printsec=frontcover

Language as Symbolic Action 482.  

No comments: