Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, June 28, 2024

Crews

 Crews died. I enjoyed his polemics in the pages of The New York Review of Books. The way he answered critics was masterful. I went back and read today his exchange on alien abductions. It is a master class in critical thinking.  

He single-handedly (not really, there were others too) took down Freud. His last book on Freud from 2017 was tiresome, and I couldn't get through the whole thing. It just was too relentless and long, though for that reason it is utterly convincing.  I just didn't need more convincing at that point.  

I began by rooting for the Freudians to be able to answer Crews with better arguments. Surely, there had to be some better arguments, but no, apparently not.  


2 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Those Freud articles in the NYRB in the 90s also ended my engagement with Freud. And I agree that the letters by the Freudians did not help their cause at all.

Thomas Basbøll said...

I sort of want this review:

Your book was tiresome.
I couldn't get through it.
It was relentless and long and utterly convincing.
I didn't need more convincing.