Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Anhedonic

In this dream I exploring the anhedonic principle, arguing that the search for pleasure inevitably led to a search for pain. There was a local meeting or party devoted to this idea, and I had invited some family members, but had given them mistaken directions or address. The locals, however, knew how to get there. I was trying to explain my ideas to some colleagues. 

There were several examples: gastronomy that emphasizes pungent or bitter notes. As I was waking up I thought of others. Sexual proclivities that fetishize conventionally unattractive traits, or the introduction of pain. Ascetic practices, etc... This was kind of muddled in my head as I was half way awake, and I continued to explore this principle and its opposite.  In "bad taste" we often see an interest in things that are merely pretty, or too easily digested. I'm sure I was thinking of Adorno in my dream, in some way, since that's the only place I've seen the word "anhedonic."   

No comments: