Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, August 13, 2012

Zizek

via Scroggins. I tend to agree with this. You are either writing things down, putting ideas on paper, or editing, preparing a final version of a piece of writing. Very rarely do you have to write a sentence for the first time that will remain unchanged in the final version. For example, I found the sentence "the prose canon is dominated by a certain kind of writing that is quite different from what we would find in Lorca’s plays or poetry" in something I had written. There is no way that I would knowingly keep a sentence that bad, that vague, passive, and lazy, in a finished draft. Yet that sentence serves a function: to remind me of some idea I had, so that when I come back to it I will know what I was thinking.

No comments: