Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, August 13, 2012

Zizek

via Scroggins. I tend to agree with this. You are either writing things down, putting ideas on paper, or editing, preparing a final version of a piece of writing. Very rarely do you have to write a sentence for the first time that will remain unchanged in the final version. For example, I found the sentence "the prose canon is dominated by a certain kind of writing that is quite different from what we would find in Lorca’s plays or poetry" in something I had written. There is no way that I would knowingly keep a sentence that bad, that vague, passive, and lazy, in a finished draft. Yet that sentence serves a function: to remind me of some idea I had, so that when I come back to it I will know what I was thinking.

No comments: