Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Wrong

There is nothing wrong with a lot of the previous work on Lorca and music. What I am arguing is for the insights that come with looking at it all at once, rather than piecemeal and without knowing about the more or less complete picture. You can be "wrong" about something just by not knowing how it fits into the the larger picture. For example, you might think something is exceptional when it is typical, or vice-versa. Almost everyday of research I discover I have been wrong about something, or under / over estimated the significance of something. This is what makes it exciting.

When I say that other scholars have been asking the wrong questions, that is not exactly right. They aren't asking the questions I think they should have asked.

***

I listened to some Bob Dylan today. A cd that was here at the house where I am  house / cat / chicken sitting this week. Not bad. The first cd I heard had a lot of his most familiar hits like "Blowing in the Wind" and "Like a Rolling Stone." Though of course I had heard these songs, I have never sat down to listen to Dylan for a longer stretch.

No comments: