Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

What I learn from musicians

I remember hearing on the radio once and saying to myself, oh, that's "Art Blakey (drums) and Paul Chambers playing, I didn't know they had played together." So I was learning to hear with that fine-grained attentiveness and distinguish nuances beyond what most people can hear. Then to be able to analyze and put it in words, as well.  So number 1 is that attentiveness, fine listening.

Secondly, musicians know that the basics have to be in place and that learning is cumulative. There is no skipping steps. Musicality can be present even at the most basic level. Music "theory" is not theory in the sense of literary or even scientific theory, it's the actual description of what the thing is. So number 2 is a sense of being grounded in basics.  

No comments: