Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

More turns

It turns out I forgot the "affective turn," as Olga reminds me, and the "performative turn" and "semantic turn" (in design) as well. Some of these turns might turn out to be less paradigm-shifting than others. What interests me is the snowclone feature of them, how they proliferate through that particular syntactic construction. It is extraordinarily productive.  Perhaps the only phrase more productive in academic life over the last few decades is "queering the x."

1 comment:

Olga Bezhanova said...

Yes, queering the x is a definite winner. But I think it's going out of fashion because there's a feeling of tiredness. Let's prepare for a new big one.