Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, August 19, 2024

Trader Joes & Cousins

 My daughter works at a Traders Joes in MD.  I talked to her today on the phone and asked her to recommend some prepared food from there. (I am in Davis, CA for my sister's (and my aunt's) funeral, so I am here with my mother, brother, brother-in-law, and niece,) Eight of my cousins came for my sister's service!  

***

 I walked to our local TJs and picked up some frozen veggie gyoza and the vegan Korean rice balls my daughter recommended. My brother is mostly vegan so it was a good call. My niece made some squash. We have all just been scavenging from the fridge so it was good that I did this, even if my initial motive was selfish: to have something different and more savory  to eat tonight. We still have "Mormon funeral potatoes" in the fridge. 

Tomorrow, we drive to Palo Alto for my aunt's memorial service. I will see multiple cousins, including two more who couldn't come for my sister's on Friday.   

***

My family is religious.  I am not. Everything is filtered through that lens for them, but not for me. My sister planned her whole funeral while she was still able, with the exact hymns she wanted. Its made me think I should do that too. I know I want "Lonely Woman" and "Monk's Mood." I don't want a fucking "Celebration of Life"; I want everyone to be very sad, disconsolate. 

No comments: