Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Do Less, Write More

Doing less can be an important step to doing more. This blog is about being a college professor / scholar / researcher, but the same logic applied in being a college student--or in any other stage of academic life or non-academic work of an analogous type.

The overwork ethos actually leads people to accomplish less, because it clutters up their time with things that are not as significant. They might get the multi-tasking medal, but will they publish that next book?

The academic ethos is kind of funny that way. It rewards achievement, but is suspicious of it. You're almost supposed to be so busy that you can't do your own research. It actually feels strange to say that yes, I do have time to write my books.

No comments: