Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Friday, February 14, 2014

Meta

At a certain point I decided I didn't want to figure out what Lorca's poems meant. In other words, the hermeneutic process of figuring out what things symbolized. Instead, I practice a meta-hermeneutics, and focus more on his prose writing, mostly his lectures. I think I can interpret with the best of them, but I just don't care enough about whether my interpretation is best. That seems like a very undergraduate game to play. Luckily for me, almost every other Lorca critic does that, so I don't have to.

2 comments:

Vance Maverick said...

The main point makes sense to me, but I don't see the connection between that and the shift of focus from poetry to prose. Is Lorca's prose clearer? The enigma of the duende suggests not always.

Jonathan said...

I could explain it like this. Interpretation of the essays is difficult too, but it is more a matter of relating and situating them to other discourses of poetics than of verbal analysis and explication, of "what does this image mean / symbolize?"" It is inherently metainterpretative in a way that looking at the poetry is not.