Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Song (iii}

I'm writing another song to procrastinate from starting on class preparations. The harmony is a bit more sophisticated, at least I use more chords, with a melody almost as simplistic as my first one. I had avoid having the exact chord progression as in my first song. Certain chords are addictive, though. I learned about the tritone substitution recently, and it just sounds very cool, but then I realized I didn't have to use it every time.

Melodies can be rather simplistic. Look at one note samba or c jam blues, or thelonious. You can repeat the same phrase and put a different chord under it.

The process is infinite, because even after the song is written the arrangement needs to be refined.

No comments: