Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Song & Problem Solving

I wrote a song, kind of a Bill Evans type song. It goes from a D minor 7 with flatted fifth to a D flat dominant 7, up to E minor, then F minor, then back down again to D, D flat and Cmajor7. It took a while to come up with the bridge.

Anyway, I don't actually know how to write songs. This is my first one and I'm sure it's not very sophisticated. The funny thing is that I can identify flaws in it and work on them or find better solutions to problems I perceive. Since I'm writing it on the piano I also have to work within my limitations, since I don't play piano very well. I have a sense of what sounds good, and can substitute a better sounding sequence of notes within the general framework. For example, in the bridge I had started three phrases in exactly the same way and I realized that the third phrase had to go in a different direction. Also, the bridge could not simply end on the tonic.

I don't have a lyric for it, but the process would be the same: trying things out and finding better solutions. Isn't 90% of work problem solving? You could write an article and reading it, notice that there are problems in the structure & organization, in the transitions, in the prose, in the argument.

In my case the song is 32 measures long and in the AABA form. Curiously, I didn't have to count measures, because this is intuitive, since I've listened to hundreds of songs in this form.

No comments: