Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, February 20, 2017

Exercise



Here's some strengths and weaknesses I wrote out.  You can see the left hand column under the + has harmony and rhythm, knowledge of chords, harmony, song structure, and, generally a strong work ethic and the analytic ability that makes me want to make this kind of list in the first place.

The right hand side has weaknesses: piano technique, ability to improvise, lyric writing, my ear (in ability to play things I hear), and knowledge of recording techniques.

What this does is to give me some clarity.  Almost everything in the + column has to do with composing, and in the - column with performing.

No comments: