Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, November 2, 2018

Anthology

I'm reading a book that refers to Lorca's books of poems as "anthologies." Surely this is wrong. In English, anthology must refer to a selection from several poets, not one. (The book is written in English.). In Spanish, you can use antologĂ­a for the work of a single poet, but in that case it must be poems selected from more than one book (a "selected poems."). Romancero gitano is not an "anthology" but a unitary collection, a poemario or book of poems.  The book is otherwise excellent in numerous ways, so that makes it all the more puzzling. I've never seen that in my life.  

1 comment:

Olga Bezhanova said...

That's weird. I've never seen this use of the word either.