Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Dream of a Medieval Poem

There was a medieval Spanish poem of startling clarity and beauty. It embodied perfectly its own period as well as our own contemporary ecological sensibility. I can't remember any words or images from the poem, but it occupied a single page and was written in three-line stanzas. It had been discovered by a graduate student, or at least she had brought it to our attention. A powerful person in my department, who had been feuding with this student, was trying to argue that this double interpretation was anachronistic. To me, though, it was obvious that the student was right.

No comments: