Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, November 5, 2018

Scheduling

My friend, when she was 11 years old, would write out an hourly schedule of what she would do each day during the summer months. This is unusual for a child, but shows a very keen insight. I'm starting to do that now for every day including weekend, simply on my calendar app on my phone which synchs with my computer.

What this does is to avoid the "where has the day gone" syndrome. This happens to a lot academics in the summer, on weekends and non-teaching days, on sabbaticals and other leaves. The idea is not to avoid "wasting time," a rather lame concept. I can put binge-watching netflix or anything else on the schedule. As long as it fits there.

Today I got up at 7:30. Had coffee and did puzzles until 8:30. I do kenken and an anagram game from the New York times (had done Monday crossword last night.) I'm working until lunch at 11, including these blog posts. I've written 600 words so far on a chapter, and answered some emails. I will walk for an hour after lunch, then play piano, then work. Pick up some things at the store, and then I have a party at 6 which will probably last till 9.  I don't have to schedule anything from 9-11, which is bedtime.  

2 comments:

Leslie B. said...

I did this once when I had a grant that I thought I was not going to fulfill.

I kept a diary of what I did each day to try to get into the archives I was funded to visit, and of what I did, of work, when I failed.

The diary focused my thoughts and I think it is because of it that ultimately I succeeded. I still have it in my files somewhere.

I think of doing it now but it feels like policing. Still - in general, it's a good idea.

Jonathan said...

It feels constricting but is actually liberating. It gets you out of procrastination hell.